click to close
Click to close

Company History

J.Pickard & Co (Burrington) Ltd was founded in 1846 by James Pickard, a farmer in Burrington and also the local postmaster, his son Jonathan Pickard the youngest of seven children worked with his father in the business, and married Mary Glass in that year.

They had two daughters Elsie and Hilda and in 1911 Elsie married a local farmer’s son William Short.

In 1935 Jonathan Pickard died, so William Short carried on the business as sole proprietor until a limited company was formed and his son Gordon Short and nephew Roy Short who had both recently returned from World War II became directors.

In 1957 Gordon married Joyce Ford and had three sons John Short, Graham Short and Nigel Short who are all directors in the firm today.

Our Washford branch, previously Badcock & Evered is managed by Nigel. His daughter Faye Short is a qualified advisor in the Animal Health department.

Burrington seed production is managed by John helped by his son Tim Short.

Graham is the managing director supported by John’s son Justin Short, Graham’s daughter Victoria Short manages the Sales Ledger.

Our 150 Year Commemorative booklet can be viewed or downloaded here:

150 Year Booklet PDF

Skip Navigation Links.